Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Crazy Newspaper Antics Part 2



Continuing with yesterday's post, here are more newspapers colored with India ink and fluid acrylics. Start with a layer of ink- just drop it randomly on the paper and fold and press. When that layer is dry, do the same with fluid acrylics. On these pieces, gold metallic webbing spray was added as a final step. Find it in the spray paint section at your craft store. If you've never used it, it's a blast! The effects are totally random but beautiful. My art buddy Lynn and I discovered the magic of webbing after a day of making ink dyed papers. Some of them were incredibly ugly so we just went wild with webbing and voila- they were magically transformed. As I scanned these papers in today, it occurred to me to use the Hue/Saturation function in Photoshop to play with the colors. I love the new colorways and will print them on nice paper to use in collages.
A note on the archival quality of the newspaper. Before I use any of these papers, I will coat both sides with acrylic medium. That will keep the acidity of the newspaper from affecting other papers in the final art and help with the yellowing process newspaper is infamous for. The acrylic will not prevent all problems, so if you are a stickler for archival this may not be the technique for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment