Friday, May 18, 2012

Fascinated with butterflies

I was working on a new journal and already had the layout with fabric and ATCs (Artist Trading Cards)finished but I needed something to make it really pop.  I noticed that quite by accident most of the ATCs had images of butterflies- from old postage, ephemera, etc.  So I started looking for butterfly images and found some great old engravings.  I started drawing butterflies with a Sharpie marker in sizes to fit the void areas in the journal. None of them are actual species- I made up shapes and coloring based on the engravings.  I colored them all with Prismacolor pencils then cut them out and glued them to the pages.  The 3 images above are all on pages covered with hand marbled fabric made with Jacquard's Marbling Kit.  Still drawing more butterflies to have on hand but I'm thinking about tropical fish next...

No comments:

Post a Comment