Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Special Details

Finishing a piece of artwork is like dressing up for a special occasion. The dress is killer but if the jewelry and accessories aren't perfect, it can make or break the final look. When I begin a piece, I usually gather EVERYTHING in my studio that fits the mood and colors of the art. From this large pile of stuff, I begin to whittle down and edit. Most of it will never be in the final piece but comparing and eliminating help clarify the process. At some point, when the composition is almost done, it's time for the fancy details that make it sing. I love to add beads, couched fancy threads and painted accents to really bring a spark to the piece. On the two close-ups above, you can see how the final tiny additions define and highlight the key elements and movement in the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment